Nov 19, 2008

Help for LaTeX

Help for LaTeX

Latex Tricks

Back
Français English

While writing my thesis, I did experience quite a few problems when typesetting the manuscript with LaTeX. A plain search on latex will usually return a couple of thousands of answers ranging from outdated pages, undocumented packages, as well as latex items you might not be looking for... Therefore, I decided to sumarize some information I collected that could be useful for other people.

1- Usefull websites
2- Usefull sofware 3- Documentation available on this server
4- Packages I used
5- Creating a PDF file with LaTeX

1- Usefull websites

Headings
Left headings


Headings
Right headings


Summary
Sumaries


Side caption
Side captions


Side caption
Figures side by side

2- Usefull sofware

  • Emacs... Does everything, edit LaTeX file, spellchecking, coffee...
  • Flyspell: on the fly spellchecking for emacs: extremely useful.
  • Kile: LaTeX source editor - TeX shell - Gnuplot front end for KDE 3. I did not use this software to write my thesis because I discovered it very late in the process of writing. However, I have used it since and I find it more convenient than emacs, and you DO keep control on the LaTeX source.
  • Xmgrace: WYSIWYG 2D plotting tool for the X Window System and M*tif. That's what I use for all my plots. By the way, it runs on windows as well (it's part of cygwin).
  • Xfig: I use this figures. It's basic but it works and figures are clean. It's also part of cygwin on M$ windows.
  • Jabref: graphical frontend to manage BibTeX databases. I find it great, no need to dig into BibTeX files, it does a very good job at maintaining a database, searching... It's in java so it should work on any platform.

No comments: